This vibrant salad is tasty, sharp and spicy! It originated in the Isan region of North Thailand but is now found everywhere. There they have it with raw pickled fish *can be quite smelly so we prefer to serve the Bangkok version at Giggling Squid! Thai often enjoy this street food dish with sticky rice and grilled / barbecued meat but to be honest it tastes great with most things.
- Handful of grated green papaya (just use a cheese grater!)
- 1 x red Bird’s Eye chilli (add or take away according to taste)
- 1 x clove of garlic, peeled
- 1 & 1/2 tbsp fish sauce
- Couple of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 & 1/2 tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 tbsp palm sugar
- Couple of green beans chopped into 1 inch
- Pound the chilli, garlic, green beans and tomatoes until bruised - not finely crushed.
- Add shredded papaya, fish sauce, lime juice and palm sugar (can be substituted with normal sugar).
- Mix the papaya and other ingredients thoroughly before serving.
- Feel free to add fermented salty fish (if you like that type of thing) but make sure you reduce the fish sauce. I like using just the juice from the fermented fish and preferably boiling first.
We hope you enjoyed making this recipe! Please don't forget to share!